Old 15-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default adelgids treatment on Hemlocks

On May 14, 7:14 pm, "Glenn Meyers" wrote:
Can anyone recommend the best way of treating a well established infestation
of these critters in my neighbors and my hemlocks??

Thanks,

Glenn

Had some long discussions with the local Agricultural station about
this a few years back. Three options.

1) just ignore it, most infestations aren't very bad. This did not
apply to mine, and sounds like yours, either.

2) dig them up and toss them and plant something else. Might be the
quickest and cheapest in the end. I didn't like the idea.

3) use horticultural oil. spray fairly frequently, cover all the
little *******s, keep it up as fast as they can multiply and I pretty
much eradicated them. The hemlocks stayed all straggly, however, as
the chewed up parts don't recover, they just put out new growth at the
tips.