Old 15-05-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] al@orchidexchange.com is offline

Default Paph kolopakingii var alba?

On May 12, 6:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
Best to send a picture to Koopowitz:

K Barrett

wrote in message

ups.com...

Does anyone have any info on this creature? If the internet is to be
believed, it does not exist...no mention of one anyway. I am not
asking about topperi, the 'green form' of kolopakingii. I think I
have true alba form blooming in my greenhouse and I find it hard to
believe that I have the only one ever seen.- Hide quoted text -

I sold the alba last night. I am shipping it today. It is very
pretty but I am not worthy of it. And having it around would worry me
too much. The man who bought it lives in a penthouse in New York City
and is known by Paph breeders as a primary collector of alba Paphs and
awarded cvultivars. He is having me ship it directly to a famous Paph
breeder who also called me last night to make an offer which I
ultimately turned down; in addtion to $, he promised me flasks of the
offspring, which may have been the better deal in the long run, but...
Actually, all offers were exceedling generous and even bordered on
insanity, from my point of view. Ultimately I went with the most
insane. However, in the end, it will be going into the hands of two
people who can probably do much with it with regard to future alba
breeding lines in the coryopedilum paph group and everybody seems
happy.

Actually I learned last night that three other albas have shown show
up recently. Two were sold for about the same as I sold mine, if my
information is correct. The fourth is being kept in an undisclosed
location with a seed capsule on it; this is the one mentioned as
having received the CHM in Atlanta.

It sounds like they are all coming from the same wholesaler in Hawaii
AND one Paph breeder believes he even knows which parent plant is
throwing these albas. It was an odd experience to talk with so many
people over the last few days who were able to tell me where my plant
came from. They all seemed to know already and had their eyes and
ears open for more....

Orchid people are crazy. Somebody should keep an eye on them.