Old 15-05-2007, 04:37 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Philip Semanchuk Philip Semanchuk is offline

Default fire ants! Argh! Best treatment method?

In article . com,
"Hey, It's Me!" wrote:

I've got fire ants. Who doesn't, right?
I've noticed more mounds after our most recent rains. So....what's
the best way to get rid of these, and to help prevent future mounds
from appearing? I know I won't get rid of all of them, all the time,
but I'd like to keep them at bay as much as possible.

Any (sensible) suggestions?

My brother who lives in SC and has some experience dealing with them
says that compacting the nest soil works for him. Drop a chunk of 2x4 on
the nest (you might need something a bit larger if it is a large nest)
and pound on it for a little while with a hammer, sledge or the head of
an axe. Obviously this will annoy the ants so you don't want to wear
flip-flops while doing this. =)

I've tried it on a few nests around here and it took a few "treatments"
but eventually the nest died. I like this method because it doesn't
involve insecticide.

Good luck
--
Philip Semanchuk