Old 15-05-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

On 15 May, 09:49, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
You are kidding of course?
There is an issue with habitat destruction but a plant in peat probebly
reduces carbon not increases it, left where it is peat is stored carbon,
extracted its still stored carbon, put a plant in it and the plant grows and
absorbs some carbon!

No - extract it and you erode and release lots of carbon!

Peat extraction only causes a rise in atmospheric carbon if its burnt in
power stations etc.

That is not what we have been led to beleive at all. This is not what
we are basing all our facts on peat erosion. We've been told that all
the peat bogs held together contain 70 years of global industrial
emmissions. Moving them to extract peat for gardeners start the
process of erosion hence the release of carbon and add to the climate
warming issues that we have.

Now, no, I cannot prove it to you - I'm not a scientist and that's not
my field. But this is what we beleive, here, in my company where we
work with many companies in the field of sustainability. And the peat
they are burning in Finland is mixed with wood - it is not pure.

In any case, it is terrible and peat shouldn't be used, nor touch, nor
sold especially for environmental project. It's far too hypocritical.
That is something I'd like to hear from you because I'm not too sure
what you are trying to proove to me and not to sure what you want to
hear from me. I will not change my mind. Using peat is wrong. And I
don't care if Russia has 500 square kilometres of the stuff. Lets stop
climate warming. Full stop.

and your computer pollutes as much as mine :~)

Wait till Bill Gates comes up with computers made of recycling stuff.
He's working on it at the moment with Gore would you beleive ;o)

It doesn't lay down faster

Yes it does

How? Does it skip a thousand year? Don't tell me because it rains more
there ... could it be?

point that peat in Finland is being used for energy since it releases
less carbon than fossil fuel.

So does Ireland but I think you will find in each case they do it because
they have lots and its cheap to extract!

Hurmph.... but it's still wrong.

Off course not, but when it's something that we don't need, like peat,
something that we can go without, why do damage to use it when it is
not really required?! That is the only point I'm trying to make.

There you have the problem, You personely do not need peat so you think its
ok to stop everyone using it,

That is not a problem that I have. I grow all my vegs from seeds and I
never use peat. I simply don't need it and I know that it is not
necessary because I successfully grow them every year without using
peat. I'm not too sure how much more you need before you realise that
you will not make me admit that 1. peat is good for the environment
and 2. that we need it. We simply don't need it. You certainly don't
anymore. Don't you.

I bet you work in an office with light
heat/air conditioning and loads of electric equipment and synthetics,

Hehehe.... no, no and no. I work in an old mill, no heating beside
original pipes on one side with hot water flowing through them and
that's totally rubbish as it doesn't heat at all, no fake ceilings, no
carpets - just bricks and steel and 2K square foot of 200 years old
wonderful timber. 29 windows on each side, freezing cold in winter and
too hot in summer. However, looking at insulating the roof, we're on
the top floor (waiting for my lease to be accepted for another 5
years, in August, before investing in something so costly). We feel
wrong to see all the heat escaping above our heads. Lights are all
allogen, yes, we have computers off course. We've made over 1.5
millions turnover last year, you don't imagine us sending pigeons to
our clients now would you.

We have the best recycling office around and have been advising via
the Cooperative Trust a project The Carbon Trust to advice businesses
to reduce, reuse etc. We are also making a 'Seven Step' challenge to
change. All our equipment from the cello tape to tea towels we use
are researched before purchasing. I'm sure we do wrong things, we're
not perfect, but at least we try. And it's fun.

yet
thats ok because its your job, it doesn't matter to me if you freeze in
winter and roast in summer so I do not need you to have it and the
enviroment would be better if we turned you off, but you would hardly
consider it fair.

Spot on. I do freeze in winter and roast in the summer. It's healthy
anyway ;o)

The reason so many plants fail from garden centres and outlets like woolies
is not bad plants but that they come from the wholsale production nurseries
and are then abused and mistreated, they are never hardened off properly,
never watered properly, and in many cases are expected to be in low light
levels in a box or bag, and if they remain unsold are not repotted. If
people did it to any other living thing like a dog or cat they would be
prosecuted.

Indeed. It hurts me as much as if it was done to a cat or a dog ... or
cows, chickens etc. The point indeed is profit. And nothing else.
Hence me saying all along that resorting to peat, chemicals etc. to
aid a sale regardless of the product after care is wrong.

I don't expect to convert you, I just think you should be a bit more
thoughtful as to the consequences of what you say.

I have a reputation to say what I think. Perhaps too fast but I never
you.