Old 15-05-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Potato in a bucket.... comp urg Competition????

On 14 May 2007 02:03:15 -0700, La Puce wrote:

I have a 'thing' with using tyres. I'd happily grow flowers in them
but not food stuff. I feel it's wrong. But ... it does work and each
to its own thing ;o)

It's funny but I was thinking about baking potatoes. We eat rather a
lot of them here - kids find it easy (and satisfying) to cook when I'm
not here. I've never come across baking potatoes seeds. Has anyone?
I'll be tempted to have a go next year.

I tried using tyres for potatoes when Bob Flowerdew first showed it on
GQT. My problem was that the soil in the tyres made a wonderful home
for ants and I had more ants than potatoes!

Surely baking potatoes are just the large ones from any crop of
potatoes which are suitable for baking. Just grow 'em big!

Incidentally, I have planted potatoes from those I buy to eat. If I
find a new variety which I like I try growing one.
I am trying a potato bag this year. It's bigger than a bucket and I
have 3, all different varieties, and am earthing the bag up gradually.
The bag is one of those being sold for the purpose in garden centres
etc.

Pam in Bristol