Old 15-05-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
starchild starchild is offline

Default Need a cascading flowering hanging basket in the shade

On May 12, 8:22 pm, 21Rouge wrote:
We live just north of Toronto Ontario.

Our home faces north and our plan is to place a hanging basket on
either side of the garage (north side of the house; some morning sun)
just under the eve of the roof (about 8 feet off the ground). We want
as much colour as possible and we want it to cascade as the summer
goes on. Each year we have trouble finding such a combination ie
colour, shade, cascading. Can you suggest?

Browallia is a plant that doesn't seem to need lots of sun (I just
tried to find more about it in google, it said it can be a hanging
plant in a shaded garden)

I think they are sometimes called "bluebells".

I remember years ago my mother had one hanging on her porch (enclosed
porch with screens) and it got huge over summer. Bushy and hanging
over the sides. She brought it in the house when the weather got
cold and put it on the kitchen table under the ceiling light. If I
remember right it bloomed most of the winter.

You can easily make cuttings from it, too, and start new ones, maybe
to add to the hanging one and make it thicker.

I used to get them early in pots (not expensive) at a greenhouse,
but now I don't live where I can get to one, and haven't had them in
years. I would buy them in pots, and when they started to grow bigger,
make cuttings, stick the cuttings in pots of dirt and soon have more
plants. I liked them as inside plants, like like on the windowsill
over the sink (which faces north) They didn't grow as big and bushy as
outside but were pretty like that.

I have seen them for sale fully grown in hanging baskets, but buying
them that way for me (on a limited/fixed income) they are very
expensive.

I was looking for groups that write, or have written about solar
heat (I've been thinking a long time about looking into making my big
old falling apart (south facing) porch, into a passive solar heated
greenhouse- which would also bring warm air into the house when the
sun is out)

Of course, as I said I'm on a limited/fixed income (Social Security)
and not sure of the cost and if I could (a woman) do some of it
myself, even a little at a time.

Just now I decided I can at least look into it and find out more
about it.

And saw the plant question. Now I want a browalia (LOL)