Old 16-05-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Question about mulching.

"Billy" wrote in message
All mulches will suppress weeds if they are thick enough and (in the case
of perennial weeds) if they are lifted and let drop back to the ground as
the weeds show through (and this is repeated often enough to starve the
weeds of light - it may take some time though).

This is a bit misleading, I think.

Agreed, but for a beginner, any more than that can just be confusing.

I have a huge, very heavily mulched area that sprouts weeds as fast as I
can pull them. Bird droppings contain seeds that easily germinate after
landing on top of mulch no matter how deep it is.
So while mulch might suppress weeds from growing up through them they do
not stop seeds that land on them from germinating.

It's a minor distinction, I agree, and might have to do with my hot humid
climate. But I hate to think of novice gardeners laying down mulch and
thinking they will never have weeds.

Unfortuantley there is no way around that. Novice gardeners do tend to
think that because they are novices. We should say to simply lay down green
concrete but they have to start their interest somewhere.