Old 16-05-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default What to feed leeks?

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 15 May, 20:52, 1opygsh wrote:
I'm an inexperienced gardener but this year I've dug a small veg patch
and put in a few young pencil-thin leeks. What sort of feed should I
use for these, and is there an optimum time to apply it?

I do a comfrey juice at about this time (next week end in fact), ready
for end June. I then water all my vegs with the comfrey juice,
especially the spuds. You can either fill in a bucket with water and
let the comfrey leaves steep in there for about 3/4 weeks or leave the
leaves in a bucket without water and a brown liquid will appear.
Dilute that 20 times with water. I prefer doing the former because the
whole process smells really really bad but it works!

I also do nettle tea - already started on this because young leaves
are best. I use this as a spray to feed and it's great to repel
aphids. Next year when you start on your leeks make sure you include a
lot of manure in your soil. That would be a perfect start of your
leeks. Or you can use fish bone and blood fertilizer a few weeks
before planting your crops. The choices are endless )

Kidney-strained Newcastle Brown is good I'm told. To be applied when
available :-))

Steve