Old 15-05-2007, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation (mushroom compost)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/5/07 08:17, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Peter Fairbrother" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been using J Arthur Bower's John Innes seed compost, and I don't

like
it much - the peat is not sieved, and it doesn't seem to drain

properly.

I only use about 5 to 10 litres of seed compost per year, so within

reason
cost isn't an issue - can anyone recommend something better, for

general
use?

Next years seedlings will thank you! , as do I,

--
Peter Fairbrother

I prefer a seed compost with added sand so will either buy Levingtons

seed
compost or add sand to a multipurpose, we are (or try to be) peat free

and I
must say that bark based peat free compost is rubbish for seed

germination!

has anyone tried using straight mushroom compost?

I have a bag I am considering trying out. It does have some chicken poop
mixed in apparently which may be a little rich for seedlings.

rob