Old 16-05-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default How Close to a Tree will Veg Grow?

Hi all

As the subject, we have a copper beech tree in the N-E corner of our back
garden.
Its location means that it hardly affects sunlight, the plot seeing about 6
hours of afternoon sun in summer.
Obviously, the tree will pull moisture and nutrients from the soil, but if I
replenish these, should veg grow OK in close proximity.

We are intending to reduce the height and spread from 30-40 feet down to
about 20' in the near future.
Also intend to remove lower branches to open the area.

Will raised beds help - the type with timber plank surround maybe 18" deep?
I am thinking these might avoid root infested soil and provide a fresh start
in terms of soil, nutrients and the like.

TIA

Phil