Old 16-05-2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default This years crop - need some tips

Hi,

Novice farmer here in need of advice this year.

This year we will attempt to grow green beans (bush variety),
Cucumbers, and tomatoes.

I have 3 little seedlings for the green beans that our daughter
brought home from kindergarten. I also have about 6 cucumber
seedlings growing and I was planning to buy some tomatoe plants
already started.

I have 4 bags of dehydrated manure and I'm planning to dig up the spot
for the little farm tomorrow. Actually, I'm kind of dreading it. The
soil is really hard, there are rocks, tree roots, and it is kind of
shallow. Not a great place to set it up, but the only place
available.

I will have to fence in the garden once it is set up because my kids
would trample it otherwise.

What's the easiest way to turn over the soil? Should I wet it first?
It's supposed to rain tonight so maybe that will help loosen it up a
bit.

How should I mix in the Manure?

Where should I put the cucumbers in relation to the tomatoes and green
beans? I'm worried that the cuc's are going to take over.

Thanks in advance for any advice on my big project.

Steve