Old 16-05-2007, 05:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens
[email protected] wdukes@fw.private.neotoma.org is offline

Default fire ants! Argh! Best treatment method?

On 2007-05-15, Hey, It's Me! wrote:
I've got fire ants. Who doesn't, right?
I've noticed more mounds after our most recent rains. So....what's
the best way to get rid of these, and to help prevent future mounds
from appearing? I know I won't get rid of all of them, all the time,
but I'd like to keep them at bay as much as possible.

Any (sensible) suggestions?

Thanks!

The most environmental method uses boiling water under pressure in a
root feeder like wand. I read about this in some farm magazine years
ago. Their setup was on a tractor with a large tank / boiler and
pumping it 3 feet deep. The queen can be that deep. I am pretty sure
at least 3 gallons per mound was needed. They stuck the wand in 3 feet
deep, turned on the pump and slowly brought the wand to the surface.

I have no idea how a home owner could get such a rig this was for
farmers.

One way, though it has RISKS REPEAT RISKS would be to heat up a turkey
fryer full of water near the mound and pour it in. The problem is that
probably will not go 3 feet. You might be able to rig up some kind of
electric pump and stick a hose in the vat of water and pump it out that
way. NOTE THIS KIND OF DIY PROJECT COULD CAUSE SEVERE SCALING AND 3RD
DEGREE BURNS.

An alternative method, I used in SC was to pour a cup of diazanon on one
spot in the middle of the mound and then use 2-3 gallons of tap water to
take it as deep as possible. I did not stay long enough to see if they
relocated or not. I do know that the number of mounds were
significantly less so some probably did. I don't think you can purchase
diazanon now. I still have a large bag I bought at least 5 years ago
and use it on wood ants in a sprinkler can now.

The county extension office or NCSU may have some ideas for the home
owner. You can purchase a poison specifically for fireants these days,
but I don't know the application details. I think it is a bait that
they carry in them selves like little trojan IED's. Unless you are
really environmentally correct then this bait would be the best if you
only have a few mounds.

GOOD LUCK

is a garbage address.