Old 16-05-2007, 07:22 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
P. van Rijckevorsel P. van Rijckevorsel is offline

Default Malvaceae s.l.

"Peter B" schreef
Thanks for the replies. I take the points. Semantics aside, I agree that
a person is entitled to certain views, but this is a scientific matter.

***
That depends.
Taxonomy is a matter of science (or of opinion).
Nomenclature is not.
***

As such it can be discussed in the appropriate learned journals. I do
not know the book in question, but if it is for the general public,
defining new taxa and, as a result having to put names to them, will
create confusion. I do realise that this area is a minefield, and I am
sure that I not alone in having problems keeping up with the name changes.
Some people seem to want to make life more of a struggle than it need be.

***
Perhaps, but there is no agreement on who these "some people" are.
Everybody points to "those other guys".
PvR