Old 16-05-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default How Close to a Tree will Veg Grow?

In message , Simon Harding
writes
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all
As the subject, we have a copper beech tree in the N-E corner of our
back garden.
Its location means that it hardly affects sunlight, the plot seeing
about 6 hours of afternoon sun in summer.
Obviously, the tree will pull moisture and nutrients from the soil,
but if I replenish these, should veg grow OK in close proximity.
We are intending to reduce the height and spread from 30-40 feet
down to about 20' in the near future.
Also intend to remove lower branches to open the area.
Will raised beds help - the type with timber plank surround maybe
18" deep?
I am thinking these might avoid root infested soil and provide a
fresh start in terms of soil, nutrients and the like.
TIA
Phil

Can a tree and a vegetable plot have a symbiotic relationship?

Yep, I reckon.

In terms of the tree, the veg plot will absorb moisture and nutrients
before they have filtered down to the trees roots and may cause
problems with the tree.

I very much doubt it, established Trees don't seem overly affected by
the grass, brambles etc. that will be growing around them left to
natures devices

In our garden in Leeds we had a well established Oak tree on the
boundary of the garden, we had a shed underneath part of it and veg beds
up to about 8 feet of the tree. Neither the veg nor the tree seemed to
suffer from this.

--
Chris French