Old 17-05-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gravel as mulch

On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:41:02 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

I would like to convert an area covered by iceplant, 20 x 40 feet, from
iceplant to ornamental gravel. It's more work than I can handle at my age.

I am getting conflicting info re covering the soil under the gravel. What
are the relative advantages/disadvantage of using black plastic, permeable
plastic cloth or just put the gravel on the existing soil?

The permeable allows the area to drain and dry out, eliminating the
possibility of stagnant water. I built a wooden border, tacked
permeable plastic landscape fabric, then filled in with gravel. The
border help to contain the gravel and creates a pleasing boundary.
There are no strict rules, but I'd have some concern about not having
a border with a slope. Regardless if you use landscape fabric or
not, there will be weeds to remove but the fabric will help delay the
weeding.

Part of the area is level, part is at a medium slope.

Can anyone speak from experience? Any URLs?

Thanks for all input

--
Walter
www.rationality.net