Old 17-05-2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default moisture content in soil

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "JoeSpareBedroom" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from john contains these words:

Could anyone tell me what peat with a 70% moisture content would look
and feel like. I would appreciate any help

Dry peat is odourless ,dark brown, crumbly, friable, soft and loose.
It can absorb a lot of water like a sponge. When it's wet, it's still
odourless, almost black, and heavier.

Janet.

Odourless? That's crazy. Peat's got a great smell.

Only when burning :-)

You can even get a
slight hint of it in some single malt scotch made from water which flowed
through peat. Lagavulin is one, if I recall.

Lagavulin's nose is also supposed to be reminiscent of seaweed, salt
and smoke :-)

Even fresh water that's brown with peat, does not smell when you
drink it.

Janet (Scotland).

Janet, one of two things is happening here. Either peat moss from Canada has
a scent not present in what you've got there, or you have had a mild stroke
which has affected your sense of smell.

As far as the brand of scotch, my experience was at a scotch tasting event.
If not Lagavulin, then a different brand. By the end of the party, nobody
could remember their own names.