Old 16-05-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Potato in a bucket comp

On Wed, 16 May 2007 13:46:26 +0100, newsb
wrote:

In article ,
CWatters writes
Just been entered in a village competition to grow as many potatoes as
possible (by weight) in a bucket from one seed potatoe. I've never even
grown pots before so anyone got any tips?

Need to add drainage holes?
How deep to plant it in the bucket?
What compost etc?
Secret tips?

Best to have drainage holes in the side of the bucket - ie, where the
sides meed the base - as well as a few in the bottom and a few small
crocks (or broken up polystyrene to cover the holes/stop them getting
blocked. Put 3 ins of compost in, put spud in centre of it. Cover with
another 3 inches. Wait for shoots to come through by a couple of inches
then cover with another 3 inches of compost. Wait for shoots etc etc -
keep covering/shooting until you get to the top of the bucket. Don't
bring the compost to the very top - it makes watering messy and time
consuming. They are pretty thirsty things.

Instructions with my bag said use 3 potatoes, not one.

Pam in Bristol