Old 17-05-2007, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Gravel as mulch

Dan L. wrote:

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message

I would like to convert an area covered by iceplant, 20 x 40 feet, from
iceplant to ornamental gravel. It's more work than I can handle at my age.

I am getting conflicting info re covering the soil under the gravel. What
are the relative advantages/disadvantage of using black plastic, permeable
plastic cloth or just put the gravel on the existing soil?

Part of the area is level, part is at a medium slope.

Can anyone speak from experience? Any URLs?

Thanks for all input

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

With nothing under it, weeds will grow up through the gravel and you'll hate
it. Open the phone book and find a real garden center that sells the kind of
black material used by professional landscapers. It's tougher than black
plastic - sort of a fibrous material that I can't describe.

Hmmmm .... That "fibrous material" is called "road tarp". That is what I
put under my deck with gravel on top of it. Three years later -- no
weeds -- no standing water. It is heaver than "landscaping tarp".

Road tarp will let water drain into the ground and does not let anything
grow through. Plastic may not let the water soak into the ground. Weeds
will grow through the gravel only.

One other thing I did --- which is a complete sin -- by many here.
Before I put down the road tarp, I .. I ... used ortho's "Total Kill".
I know, I know - I will burn in Hell for that

Also I am no expert here by any means- just a humble beginning gardener
- even my felt flowers are dying

Enjoy Life ....... Dan

Did something similar.

After using the vegetation killer to zap what was rowing, turned over
all the dirt
and leveled it. Then used Preen / Casaron (sp) on the dirt. Added the
fabric.
Added more Preen / Casaron on p of fabric. Added 3 inches of gravel.
Four years.
No weeds.