Old 17-05-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Paph kolopakingii var alba?

I believe the preference is simply one of those "different strokes" things.

I also believe that none of us here would give a rodent's patoot if you HAD
held out for the many-multiplier payment level; I only know I would not have
been in the mix. I probably would have bee jealous, though (of your
situation, not the buyer's).

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 15, 9:11 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
Al has thusly spoke: "Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a few
semesters of college."

...which, of course, I could REALLY use.

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

Well I did spoke thusly and I am going to spoke thusly again ;-)

I had to think of its worth. I have no other means of support. I
think of the worth of all of the plants I sell. I think the people
who pay for those are getting good fortune for the price too. And I
think the people who chose to keep their money in their pocket know
where their fortune lies or lays, whatever...

I also think of the expenses of keeping them around. I like growing
orchids. Selling them is a necessity. They don't have to be rare.
In fact considering how this alba made me feel just having it around I
probably would rather just grow and sell the other kind.

There are people who think I should have held out for 4 or 5 times
what I sold it for and I can not even imagine that. There may even be
people who would pay that much, some of them didn't get to me fast
enough, apparenly. I feel I got fair value and good fortune for my
plant and I think those who bought it feel the same way. I think
those who would pay 4 to 5 times more will also pay for the names of
the people I sold it to, if they can't figure it out.

But do remember i have that list now, and there is no reason you
shouldn't think of its worth that I can think of if you find such a
plant in a wholesale coffin from hawaii. It sure can't happen often.
I wouldn't sell it to you. I will give it to you freely.

speak amongsth thyselves. I may spoke thusly again later.