Old 17-05-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Friar Donk Friar Donk is offline

Default Too Wet to Plant?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of the good advice so far!

Another question has popped up, though.

This weekend is the frost-free date for my area and I was planning a great
weekend of planting. Unfortunately it's been raining for two days and
it's not supposed to let up until at least Monday. Needless to say, it's
going to be a soggy weekend.

I had planned on planting my corn, cukes, carrots, squash, herbs and a few
flowers as well as transplanting the tomatoes. My novice knowledge is
telling me that all of the water is going to be ok for germination (the
temperature is going to be hovering around 60F/15C).

The question is whether or not this much moisture is ok or will the seeds
simply "drown"? Should I wait for some better weather (could be a while)?

I'm using raised beds to I won't be compacting the soil and it does have
good drainage.

Thanks.

--
The Good Friar