Old 17-05-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default How Close to a Tree will Veg Grow?

"CWatters" wrote in message
How big is the tree? The usual rule is not to dig under the crown.

If you want to lay cables or a water main in my area the tree preservation
officer insists you write a method statement that says you will hand dig
the
trench (or using a "mole") and not cut any roots bigger than 1" in
diameter.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I didn't dig under the crowns of the trees. I
rotovated up to around 5 feet away from the trunks of the trees. However,
the veg planted between 5 and 10 feet from the tree did badly (ground too
dry), so it turned out to not be worth cultivating that area anyway.

David.