Old 17-05-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default olive tree - olea europaea - Winter hardy in UK?

On 16 May, 23:29, Robert wrote:
In message , "David
(Normandy)" writes

Has anyone got any experience growing an olive tree outside in the UK?
I've just bought one (an impulse buy) but according to the label it should
be kept in a frost free place over Winter. The tree is 5 feet high with a
half inch diameter trunk. We don't have much suitable space so it would be
inconvenient to keep it indoors over Winter.

After Googling, it seems they can survive outside in the UK if they are
mature enough. Question is - what is mature enough? Would it survive planted
outdoors in a sheltered but sunny spot provided I wrapped it head to toe in
fleece over Winter, until it is old enough to cope?

Also - are they self fertile or do I need another tree? I'm partial to juicy
black olives.

The weather here in Normandy is very similar to Southern England.

Any suggestions?

Should be fine in Normandy provided you are not in a frost pocket. We
have had one in a large pot outside (South Devon) all year round for
several years and the only damage it has suffered has been as the result
of an over inquisitive badger early this year. On a very exposed hill
top about 2km from us is a mature olive, growing in the hedgerow at the
side the lane.
--
Robert

Olives can be grown Outside in the milder parts of the UK
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0706/olives.asp
I have 12 planted out, but un fortunatly I have lost the labels as one
variety is much better than the others.
Olives are self fertile to some degree, but like apple trees they will
do better with another variety to pollinate them.
I think the best site for growing info is this http://www.modernolives.com.au/growing.html
All comercial olives are grafted onto a wild olive rootstock which
will grow very well in the UK. and you will often see these wild
olives sold in places such as Lidl as minature olive trees.
Good luck
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries