Old 17-05-2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] dr-solo@wi.rr.xx.com is offline

Default Gravel as mulch

http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/gravel/gravel.htm

we leveled our back yard by hoeing and pushing the dirt to level it. deep digging
will, I fear, raise all those weed seeds and set them to grow.
We put the thin fabric barrier down and then the pea gravel. we got some greens
growing up thru, but mostly each spring there are seeds that germinate. we dont use
any chemicals.
just gravel will sink down into the soil.. forever. my parents had a long private
drive that needed gravel nearly every year for 50 years. in spring the cars would
drive over the soft area the gravel would get pushed down, the mud would squirt up
(clay)
we want the back yard to be a water sink to keep the house from getting flooded. the
permeable stuff works fine.
we have a slope out at the dacha where we just put gravel around the ponds and I am
sure that it will need to be terraced a bit to keep the gravel from sliding off. we
will use some treated wood to do that. Ingrid

"Walter R." wrote:
I am getting conflicting info re covering the soil under the gravel. What
are the relative advantages/disadvantage of using black plastic, permeable
plastic cloth or just put the gravel on the existing soil?
Part of the area is level, part is at a medium slope.

Can anyone speak from experience?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com