Old 17-05-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Too Wet to Plant?

Friar Donk wrote:
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of the good advice so far!

Another question has popped up, though.

This weekend is the frost-free date for my area and I was planning a great
weekend of planting. Unfortunately it's been raining for two days and
it's not supposed to let up until at least Monday. Needless to say, it's
going to be a soggy weekend.

I had planned on planting my corn, cukes, carrots, squash, herbs and a few
flowers as well as transplanting the tomatoes. My novice knowledge is
telling me that all of the water is going to be ok for germination (the
temperature is going to be hovering around 60F/15C).

The question is whether or not this much moisture is ok or will the seeds
simply "drown"? Should I wait for some better weather (could be a while)?

I'm using raised beds to I won't be compacting the soil and it does have
good drainage.

Thanks.

Hard to say without knowing how much rain is falling. What has fallen
and what is forecast?

Also, some plants don't need the frost free date to plant. Stuff like
carrots can go into the ground the moment you can work the soil. Which
is especially important for carrots cause they need a long season (and
can stay in the ground until it snows).

Around here, I plant almost everything six weeks before the last
frost-free date (~10 June). We still get below zero temps at night now,
and I have my carrots, turnips, potatoes, peas and onions in the ground
(since May 1st). They've all sprouted and are doing well.

My tomatoes and corn will go into the greenhouse as soon as the nursery
has seedlings available (this week hopefully).

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,