Old 17-05-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carl 1 Lucky Texan Carl 1 Lucky Texan is offline

Default roundup in the yard and garden

Ook wrote:

Does anyone have any information on the usage of roundup in the yard
and garden? The information on the container indicates that it is not
toxic to most life forms. Other then eye irritation, it doesn't seem
to bother anything but plants, and even then it decomposes rapidly.
The bottle says you can spray, and then 3 days later plant a garden.

So - how good/bad/toxic is the stuff? Is it a good way to get rid of
unwanted plants, or should it be avoided at all costs?

I've used it but now try to choose more 'targeted' methods/chemicals.
That is, if I needed a 'weed' killer for weeds in my lawn, I try to buy
a weed killer. Roundup (and now you have to careful as there are sevrrla
types with additional active ingredients) will affect EVERYTHING with
green growing vegetation. using it on weeds in the lawn for instance, it
will kill the weeds, it will kill the grass if oversparyed or dripped.
If you walk on the location you sprayed, it will kill the grass at the
next step or 2 (walk backwards or work to the side starting AWAY from
the house). I have successfully planted within days of using it. No, I
have not done extensive testing - just anecdotal experience. As to
toxicity - well, being outside exposes you to the harmful rays of the
sun, pollen, stinging insects and mosquitos too. Nothing is completely safe.

what are your plans for the chemical? - maybe someone has alternate
suggestions for you.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)