Old 18-05-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lynn Lynn is offline

Default cherry tree question

Thanks Sherwin,
I think I am looking for a sour cherry tree as well ( makes better pies). I
will look into the Montmorency when I g to my local nursery

--
Lynn

"sherwindu" wrote in message
Some sweet cherry trees are self fertile, others not. Check before you
buy. It
can
take many years to grow if you have the tree on standard rootstock. If
you
select
a proper rootstock, you may accelerate the time to bear fruit. Here in
the
Chicago
area, we tried a Stella Sweet Cherry, which was a self fertile tree.
Unfortunately, it
grew quite rapidly, but only produced a handful of cheeries, so we pulled
it
out.
Our Montmorency Sour Cherry does much better here. It is also self
fruitful and
is
a consistent producer every year, even growing in a space with limited
sunlight.

Sherwin D.