Old 17-05-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default Pigeons as a catch crop

In article , Tom Don't_bother_
writes
steve auvache wrote:
After years of waging a losing war of attrition against certain
militant aspects of The Woodland Alliance I have decided to take
another tack and consider a different approach, namely that mentioned
in the subject line. This raises a number of questions:-

1) Should it be done on a cut and come again basis or would a single
destructive harvest be better?

2) Given either or both of the above apply, when would be the best
time of year to take my harvest in terms of both flavour and total
quantity of crop?

3) What should I specifically not protect and thus allow them to eat
in order to achieve the above?

If you are going to shoot them it would have to be cut and come again as
you'll have no chance of getting more than a quarter of them.

A quarter at a time would do nicely.

For flavour, September/Oct is best. They will be in good form then ready
for the lean months of winter.

Excellent ta.

You don't need to grow anything to feed them,

Yes but I am growing things, albeit unwillingly, to feed them. My plan
is to deliberately leave some unprotected and allow them to feed at will
so to speak.

--
steve auvache
A Bloo one with built in safety features