Old 18-05-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default roundup in the yard and garden

what are your plans for the chemical? - maybe someone has alternate
suggestions for you.

Carl

I've been using roundup on a very limited basis for spot week control away
from the garden, and for that it works great. I even used it for large
dandylions in the grass by carefully and sparingly applying it to the weed.
In the end I would probably have been better off just yanking the weed LOL.
It killed a spot about 12 inches around, and took months before anything
grew back - pre-mixed roundup is rather strong, when I mix it myself I mix
it quite a bit weaker then the instructions call for, and it works well
enough.

However....my garden was carved from a nice lush green lawn. I plowed it
over, raked out the grass clumps, and planted. Needless to say, the garden
was infested with grass and clover. This year I've been plowing it once
every couple of weeks, weather permitting, and most of the grass and clover
is dead and gone. It consists of 8 beds, with grass all around and grass
walkways going through it. Last year, these "walkways" overgrew the garden,
and I imagine they provide a nice breeding place for bugs. I'm thinking of
killing the grass because it's a pita to maintain, plus I don't want the bug
breeding grounds. I've been using pieces of cardboard with rocks to hold
them in place on one stretch, and that seems to work, but I'm short on
cardboard. I'm considering roundup, but honestly, don't really want to do
that. Right now, 3 of the beds are planted, and I've got a killer crop of
onions, and some nice potatoes starting.

This is a pic from about a month ago, you can kinda see a few of the beds
and the walkways between them. I'm open to suggestions and advice as to what
to do with the grass paths, I am in no way an expert in these matters :-P

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2007/...1/DSCF8371.jpg