Old 18-05-2007, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default French Beans

shazzbat writes

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just planted a number of dwarf French bean seeds (Var. Eden) in
3" pots. I have set two seeds per pot and wonder whether I can plant
them out together or if I should remove the weaker seedling when they
sprout?

Picking one out is the norm. If you leave two too close together they
compete for nutrients, water etc, and at best you'll get the same yield from
the two as you would have got from one on it's own.

At least that's the perceived wisdom. You could have an experiment and let
us know the results.

Of course, if you leave two, a slug can eat through the stem of one and
still leave you with one bean
--
Kay