Old 18-05-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
1970alr 1970alr is offline

Default Slug pellet question

On 17 May, 18:18, Chris Hogg wrote:
But to be absolutely safe, you can now get another pellet, also blue,
containing iron phosphate. They're called Ferramol IIRC, and the claim
is that when slugs eat them, they loose their appetite and simply
crawl away and die of starvation. The dead and dying slugs are not
harmful to birds, apparently, nor does the iron phosphate harm other
wildlife. But they're more expensive.

Not much more expensive. I got some in Wilkinsons, so they're widely
available this year. Last year you could only buy 25kg from
horticultural suppliers, and I don't have that big a slug problem!

I can't comment on their effectiveness, but when I plant out my
sunflowers I'll protect a few with just the new pellets, and compare
that to the others that will get a collar made from a yoghurt pot with
the bottom cut off and a strip of copper tape applied. Then we'll
see.

I didn't think they actually counted as organic, not being a natural
product, but I saw them on
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...oducts_id=1821
Actually, these are exactly the ones I got from Wilkinsons and I don't
think I paid as much as that.

Andrew