Old 18-05-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Novice Advice

TheRegit wrote in news:1179453872.852494.76530
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have a yard and some flower beds that are getting over taken by
weeds. I live in Northern Michigan and have to be honest and say that
I have neglected my yard the past few summers. Well know I really
want to clean it up so my family can enjoy it, however I really have
no idea how to do it? I have tried some week killer's like RoundUp
and tried spraying a more concentrated week killer with no success. I
have even tried weed killing fertilizer. My question is should I just
dig up the flower beds in my yard that are overridden with weeds and
start from scratch, or is there a way to kill them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Derek

Digging up the flowers AND weeds only give more room for the weeds to
grow. They grow quick and fast because they have to -- that's how they
survive.

What flowers do you have in the garden? Are they perennials? If so, it
will probably cost you lots of money to replace them in kind.

Weeding is not the worst thing in the world. Honestly. Go out, sit down
and do a section. Move over, do another section. Take out a radio or a
fav CD with you. Or even a book on tape. Devote a day -- or a half a
day or even a few hours -- to it. You'd be surprised how much you can
get done when you just sit down and do it. In fact, you may find it
becomes an addiction after awhile. You'll find yourself bending over and
plucking weeds out of other people's gardens when you see them.
(Warning: don't do this in gardens of people who grow herbs.)

Just remember that when pulling weeds you need to get the entire root --
especially on dandelions. Arm yourself with the right hand tools. You
only need two, really: a spade and one of those long, pokey things with
the forked end on it for the long-tubered weeds like dandelions.

It's best to weed after a rain but you can always soak the garden the day
before you schedule your weeding and that will work well, too.