Old 18-05-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default High Cost of Seed Starting

bungadora wrote in
oups.com:

On May 18, 12:40 am, sherwindu wrote:
I kind of figured it would affect my electric bill, but a recent
increase from ComEd
in the Chicago area has made it more evident that raising plants from
seeds can be
very costly. For about one month, I had two double flourecent shop
lights and about
six small heating pads going to germinate my seeds. My electric bill
almost doubled.
Guess there is no way around it, but makes one think twice about
growing veggies

and flowers from seed.

Sherwin D.

The $63 tomato raises its ugly head again.

Personally I've come to the conclusion I don't raise plants from seed
to save money. I do it because I enjoy it, and that makes the process
of killing several painfully raised plants less traumatic.

What you are talking about though is the high cost of raising plants
from seeds under lights. Most of the equipment like heating pads is a
one time expenditure.

You might try winter sowing. People here are starting seeds in mini
milk carton greenhouses in January and putting them outside. The
theory is that although it can take some time for the plant to sprout,
the root development is taking place and the plant quickly overtakes
others once growing in friendlier conditions. There was one woman in
my local hort group who started about 40 last year. Mind you, she had
milk cartons piled against her fence for a couple of months.
Dora
Zone 3

Here's a site about it and they even offer free seeds!
http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html