Old 18-05-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alexander Miller Alexander Miller is offline

Default High Cost of Seed Starting

sherwindu wrote:

|I kind of figured it would affect my electric bill, but a recent increase from
|ComEd
|in the Chicago area has made it more evident that raising plants from seeds can
|be
|very costly. For about one month, I had two double flourecent shop lights and
|about
|six small heating pads going to germinate my seeds. My electric bill almost
|doubled.
|Guess there is no way around it, but makes one think twice about growing veggies
|
|and flowers from seed.
|
| Sherwin D.

Have you tried doing without the heat pads? I start my seeds indoors under
double fluorescents - regular ones, not "grow lights" and don't have any
noticeable problems with either the seeds or the elect. bill. My furnace kicks
in around 50 deg. but the cool utility room where I have the seedlings doesn't
get much benefit from that. Probably gets down around 40.

Doubtless yours will germinate & grow faster-earlier but I suspect you can do
without the heat pads if you're willing to accept a slower start to your season.

Alexander