Old 18-05-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Walk around my plot

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
snip
The smell from Carnations and Pinks grown "hard" on the plot is
wonderful,
even the none smelly ones from a florist get their full scent back if you
are able to propagate them.
Good luck and welcome to retirement.

AHA! That's something we can send you, Bob, if we haven't already! I've
lost track. Ray has a plant, bred by someone else whose name I forget -
Ray
will remind me. It's a pink called Green Lanes, which never went into
commercial production because its stems are pretty short. But it has a
scent that I think is incomparable. If R has some going spare, I'll send
you a couple. I absolutely love pinks, even though they're unfashionable
these days.

That would be wonderful, thanks. We too love pinks/spray carnations etc
provided they still have their "cloves" scent. Short stems are ideal in a
garden setting, the long stems ones designed for florists get blown over in
a garden/allotment and never look their best. Being in the middle of a total
rethink of our small garden I have been looking for the old fashioned short
stemmed garden pinks recently without success so your kind offer is perfect
timing. :-)
Have you our address?
--
Regards