Old 18-05-2007, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default What's this fruit please?

On 18 May, 16:58, Zhang DaWei wrote:
On Friday 18 May 2007 15:15, John McMillan

) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Tyler wrote:

http://www.hidebehind.com/0C0ABF

It looks like some sort of melon to me.

Biter melon-like seeds?

I think you're right. Its a battered version of this isn't it?
http://www.desertbloomherbs.com/mono...ttermelon.html
They're normally greener...

I'm not sure that it is. I've grown them in the UK (in a greenhouse) for a
number of years, and also we (my wife and son and I) have grown them for a
similar number of years in China. We grown a number of varieties including
packeted varieties bought in Hunan, China. We've also bought and eaten them
extensively over a number of years, both in the UK and China. In none of
these cases has the Bitter melon resembled the picture given by Tim Tyler.
The rounded ridges that run down the melon, like melted wax, are quite
characteristic, and present in all that I and my wife have ever seen from
even the earliest stage of recognisable growth of the fruit, and the photo
doesn't have them.

I suppose that it could be a variety unseen by us, but we doubt it. If we
were to bet, our money would go on the other fruit suggested. However,
without any other information (like the taste, etc) it is not certain.

--
Zhang DaWei: United Kingdom
Use the Reply-to field. Remove the "feiwu-" at the front of the email

It would help a lot if you had a picture of the fruit cut open.
My gut feeling is something in the line of Rambutan, but not hairy,
you say it is around 2 inches long.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries