Old 18-05-2007, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Josh Hayes Josh Hayes is offline

Default Unidentified hawk

"Padraig" wrote in
:

I know I've got a pair of Red Shouldered Hawks in the neighborhood.
I've seen them in full daylight and even posted a pretty good shot of
one here a few months back.

This morning this hawk landed on my back fence in the gloom of early
morning and about all I really had was a silhouette, but somehow it
does not look quite right for an RSH.

Any thoughts?

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".

Call me crazy, but the long tail and dark back, coupled with the relatively
light beak, makes me think immature peregrine falcon. Check out the length
of those talons.

Worth thinking about, but I'd never call it a confident ID. :-)

-Josh