Old 18-05-2007, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Padraig Padraig is offline

Default Unidentified hawk

"Josh Hayes" wrote in message

Approximate length from top of head to tail is 17-1/2" to 19".

Call me crazy, but the long tail and dark back, coupled with the
relatively
light beak, makes me think immature peregrine falcon. Check out the length
of those talons.

Thanks Josh.

I overestimated its size. Not having any familiar object near it makes it
hard to compare sizes, so my estimate was way off. After sending the first
post I went out and measured that rectangular horizontal tube that it's
standing on and found that it's not as thick as I thought. It measures only
1-5/16" from top flange to bottom flange, so the animal's length is probably
only about 10" to 12" which would probably make this a Sharpie. It
resembles a Sharp-Shinned Hawk in shape and size but since I cannot see much
color or shading in this picture it's hard to know for sure.

I wish he'd have the courtesy to come around in broad daylight!
--
Paddy's Pig :-)