Old 18-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
RJP RJP is offline

Default Unidentified hawk

On Fri, 18 May 2007 11:02:20 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

I overestimated its size. Not having any familiar object near it makes it
hard to compare sizes, so my estimate was way off. After sending the first
post I went out and measured that rectangular horizontal tube that it's
standing on and found that it's not as thick as I thought. It measures only
1-5/16" from top flange to bottom flange, so the animal's length is probably
only about 10" to 12" which would probably make this a Sharpie. It
resembles a Sharp-Shinned Hawk in shape and size but since I cannot see much
color or shading in this picture it's hard to know for sure.

I wish he'd have the courtesy to come around in broad daylight!

Yes, it's more an accipiter shape than a falcon shape, and the very
long tail confirms it. I see hints of wide bands in the tail, too (on
my monitor, anyway). If it truly is 10-12", then it's a Sharpie.

Randy