Old 18-05-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default Advice on planting corn

In article .com,
Nate wrote:

Hello,

I have some sweet corn seeds and I was wanting to try my hand at
planting corn for the first time. The problem is the packages say they
need full sun. The first spot I was thinking of planting the corn is
in shade a lot of the day and I am unsure if it gets even a full six
hours of sun. The other spot is on a small hill. Well most of that
spot is. My regular garden is already full with everything else.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

---
Nate

There is no rational reason to plant corn. Their yield / area they take
up, is very small and they yield less protein than other grains. Their
only redeeming virtue is that cooked right after picking and slathered
in butter, they are delicious. So welcome to the club.
Grow them as you would melons. They need heat, Sun, water, and plenty of
nitrogen (fish emulsion every 2 weeks). Plant 3-4 per hill or if you
plant in rows, plant 3x3 or, 4x4 ect. Don't just plant 1 row. You'll be
asking for pollination problems. Don't plant everything at once unless
you use different corn with different days-to-ripeness.
Then comes the art form of telling when they are ripe but that is a
whole different post. That's the basics but keep learning. Everything in
your garden has its' own needs. Get to know them.
- Bill