Old 18-05-2007, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Damage from unfinished compost

In article ,
Janner Janner writes:
| It appears that one of the last things the previous owners of our
| house did before moving was to empty the contents of a compost bin
| into a corner of the garden.
|
| This was right beside a mature mix of hedges/shrubs, which have now
| started to thin and die. I am assuming that it must have been
| immature/unfinished compost (thanks Google!).
|
| The hedging in question previously provided a substantial amount of
| privacy from our neightbours, so we really need to save whatever we
| can.
|
| What is the best way to remedy or limit the damage done by the
| immature compost?

WHAT damage? That won't be the cause. Unfinished compost will damage
herbaceous and young plants by encouraging rot, but that is all. Much
of the 'information' on the net is nonsense, often written by New Age
Merkins.

Regrettably, the reason is far more likely to be that they also dumped
some poisonous chemicals there, which have damaged the roots. And the
problem with those is you can't tell what to do unless you can find
out WHAT chemical. And, even then, you probably can't do anything.

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.