Old 19-05-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default roundup in the yard and garden

On Sat, 19 May 2007 09:12:25 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

What a silly response. I pointed out that we know NOTHING about these
chemicals. If I had all the answers, I'd be happy to share them.

Silly? Me? Well, probably:-)

I was referring to John's apparent faith in the text of advertising
spewed out by Monsanto to separate lazy "Earth Killers" from their
money. Considering it took three years, AFTER the mutagenic properties
expressed themselves in babies, to get Thalidomide off the market, is it
any wonder that if a product doesn't immediately strike you down stone
dead, it is registered as safe. Meanwhile, Monsanto has gotten an
injunction from the FDA against stevia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia ), a plant the you can grow in your
own back yard, because using its' non-caloric sweetening properties
would cut into Monsanto's "NutraSweet" profits.

Like Donald McDonald, John doesn't seem to see the connection between
his actions and the environment around him.

No, I pay no attention to Monsanto advertising, or any other for that
matter.

However, I do use some common sense. Roundup has been on the market
for many years and used by professionals and amateurs alike. There
have been no reported problems when the product is used according the
manufacturer's label. Hence, my declaration of Joe's assertion as
nonsense.

I am also quite familiar with the effects of pesticides on the
environment. That familiarity is one of the many requirements for
becoming a licensed pesticide applicator, as I am.

If you go back to my original post on this issue I pointed out that
there are other methods which are just as effective as roundup (or an
other general herbicide) and less problematic.

On my mini-farm I use IPM methods which are using what is most
effective and least invasive, whatever that happens to be. Some of
the techniques are "organic" and others are not. But I always pay
attention to environmental effects, to do otherwise would be a
violation of law, and more importantly, a violation of common sense.

I have not used Roundup or any other general herbicide for many years
but will do so if it is the the appropriate technique for a particular
problem.

John