Old 19-05-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Too Wet to Plant?

diane wrote:
Are we talking Newfoundland? And are you calling turnips what I call
rutabaga? My last trip up there was 3 years ago in October and the
roadside stands were selling "turnips". Of course we call them rutabaga
down here. I have to admit that seeing corn on the cob in a "tin" was a
new one on me!! I have been up there twice and absolutley fell in love
with the place...St Johns and the Avalon was all I got to see
though...hopefully will someday get a chance to visit again!!

Yeah. They sell rutabagas commercially, but I make sure I buy seeds
labeled turnip...usually Purple Top. I'm assuming if it's labeled turnip
then it's turnip. Usually whiter on the inside than the rutabaga. I
guess I was as surprised to see a real corn on a cob when I moved to the
prairies in the 80s as you were seeing them in a tin. Didn't strip an
ear of corn until I was in my 20s. When I was growing up, I never saw
fresh brocolli, califlower or any of the "exotic" fruits...like green
bananas. They just couldn't ship it here fast enough. No problems
today...thankfully.

I'm on the Avalon, west of St. John's. Spent eleven years living across
the country and had to come back. There's no place like it....but as
they say...you can take the boy out of the bay but you can't take the
bay outta the boy...(or girl...

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East

--

We must change the way we live,