Old 19-05-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default roundup in the yard and garden

In article ,
John Bachman wrote:

On my mini-farm I use IPM methods which are using what is most
effective and least invasive, whatever that happens to be. Some of
the techniques are "organic" and others are not. But I always pay
attention to environmental effects, to do otherwise would be a
violation of law, and more importantly, a violation of common sense.

I have not used Roundup or any other general herbicide for many years
but will do so if it is the the appropriate technique for a particular
problem.

John

John, thank you for your response. I don't want to sound confrontational
but out of a purely academic interest, what would be a situation in
which you would use Roundup? According to Wikipedia,
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup#_note-6 ) "In the US 25 million
applications are used every year on lawns and yards and 18-48 million
pounds are used annually in US agriculture." You haven't used it in
years so, what do you think about putting this much herbicide into the
environment every year?

In footnote 8 (see below) there is a reference to Carolyn Cox, Northwest
Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides[4]. Do you know of this lady
and her bona fides?
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/R...tsheet-Cox.htm
In studies of people (mostly farmers) exposed to glyphosate herbicides,
exposure is associated with an increased risk of miscarriages, premature
birth, and the cancer non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Glyphosate has been called "extremely persistent" by the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency, and half lives of over 100 days have
been measured in field tests in Iowa and New York. Glyphosate has been
found in streams following agricultural, urban, and forestry
applications.
-------

As I mentioned before, even if glyphosate is completely safe we are
still looking at an incredible amount of an artificial chemical being
released into the environment with little idea of its' and its' residues
synergistic reactions are on the environment. I know I sound like a
"Cassandra" but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I would appreciate any light you may shed on this issue.

Thank you.

- Bill