Old 19-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default High Cost of Seed Starting

On Sat, 19 May 2007 06:03:47 -0400, Ann wrote:
I never use a heating pad and I get good germination on all of my
seeds. Even zinnias, which are reputed to need to be higher than 70
degrees to germinate.

Many species don't *need* a warm temp to germinate, but they germinate
most quickly at that temp (and large numbers prefer a night temp about
10oC below the day temp). Lower than optimal temps just increase the
germination period for many species. Conversely, too warm a soil temp
can actually inhibit germination, often throwing the seeds into an extended
dormancy that's quite hard to break.

Kay