Old 20-05-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.gardens
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default lining a whiskey barrel

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

If I buy a half whiskey barrel at HD, Menard's, or Lowe's, will clear 6
mil plastic be good enough for lining it so it will hold water? I
assume it won't hold water without a liner even after the wood swells
up. I want to plant a lotus seedling in it. I'm too cheap to buy a
commercial barrel liner. Thanks.

Bob

Buy half-barrel. Turn it over so that the closed end is in the air. Use
flat ended tool like a file to hammer hoops down tight. Set hoops in
place with short nails. Turn half-barrel over, open end up. Splash
interior and fill with water. Half barrel will leak. Re-fill as needed.
Repeat for 4-5 days or until leaking stops. If leaks are small, insert
wooden tooth pick into crack and hammer in. If leak is large, get a
liner.

Good luck.

- Bill