Old 19-05-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default How much topsoil?

On 19 May, 20:12, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
"PeteIvy" wrote in message

Hi guys. Hope somebody can help me.

We are currently sorting out out back garden for lawn seed. Have dug

it over
to a depth of about 6-8 inches. It formerly had a layer of shingle on

top of
it which has been seived and removed.
We now need to put down some top soil but are not sure how much to get

and

I just wonder WHY.
if you are just going to make a general lawn and you have dug your
soil to a depth of 6 to 8 inches, then why do you want to bring in top
soil with all the unknown weeds etc that it will contain, grass will
grow on most types of ground. I have problems stopping it growing on a
hard standing area that is over 6 inches of limestone chippings (1
inch to dust)
I'd be inclined to turf the area, it would be easier and cheaper than
geting in top soil.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries