Old 19-05-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/

Tim Tyler writes
K wrote:
Tim Tyler writes
David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 Tim Tyler wrote:

-- http://mulberrytrees.co.uk/ --
Very good. I like it. However you make propagation sound terribly
easy. I've tried propagating from my black mulberry for many years,
cuttings and seed, but have consistently had a 100% failure rate.

[snip advice]

I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps try different seed?

Some of your links were suggesting that some mulberries have male
and female flowers on separate plants (in US many people grow male
plants to avoid the fruit making a mess), so could a female plant
produce non-viable seed?

Black mulberries are monoecious - so this seems
unlikely to be an issue.

Ah - I was misled by one of your links:

"Mulberries are dioecious, meaning that the flowering parts are on
different trees–males and females–and the fruits and seeds are
produced on the female plants. Chiles and tomatoes, for example, are
monoecious, with all flowering parts on the same plant.

Because the female mulberry trees produce huge amounts of fruit that
stain everything they touch, most people plant the male trees, the
so-called fruitless mulberries that are grown from cuttings, or clones.
"

Incidentally it seems possible that pinching out
the young male catkins from Morus Nigra specimins
could result in more resources being available
for the fruit. I wonder if this hypothesis is
reasonable, and whether it has been tested.

Do you still get fruit if you pinch out the male catkins?

--
Kay