Old 20-05-2007, 10:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Q: Zone 3 Asparagus?

Any suggestions or hard-earned wisdom?

I'm planting Jersey King & Purple Passion.

I have access to many cubic yards of composted
cow manure (we're beef cattle ranchers), so
that part is no problem.

The problem is that I want to use my most cherished
micro-climate for my apple and cherry trees. I'm
tempted to plant the asparagus out in a great site
and at the same time, plant them a windbreak of
raspberries on the north and east sides (my windward
sides).

People in town have a hard time growing asparagus
because they don't have a reliable snow cover all
winter. They are at sea level. They get freezes/thaws
with major ice. I'm at 1300' with good snow cover from
~Halloween to May Day. (It's May 19 today. I still have
a one foot thick layer of ice on my lake. This is a
late spring. When is Global Warming going to come to
my neighborhood?)

TIA,

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.