Old 20-05-2007, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default How much topsoil?

CWatters wrote:
"PeteIvy" wrote in message
Hi guys. Hope somebody can help me.

We are currently sorting out out back garden for lawn seed. Have dug it

over
to a depth of about 6-8 inches. It formerly had a layer of shingle on top

of
it which has been seived and removed.
We now need to put down some top soil but are not sure how much to get and
how thick it should be. The soil that has been dug over is a bit sandy but
apparently that won't cause a problem.
The garden is about 40 square meters.

Do you really need topsoil? You might consider saving the money and going
for a decent turf.

Our builder did our back garden about 6 weeks ago. Rotavated and rolled then
turfed. Had to water it constantly for 12 days in that hot spell but its
taken well and looks fantastic.

when I had two lawns created by a good landscaper he actually put down
special lawn "top soil" this was a very sandy mixture. He must have got
it right because I had GreenThumb in to survey my lawn and their comment
was, on taking a core sample, that the structure was excellent. so sandy
soil may be good.