Old 29-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Hussein M.

Default Small weeping trees

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:27:23 -0000, "Rod"
wrotc:

Seeing Janet's post about her poorly Kilmarnock willow made me think it's time to give another plug for my favourite
small weeping tree. Prunus incisa 'Pendula' in flower now pink in bud and just perceptibly pink when fully open. A
proper weeping tree shape - not an umbrella. Not sure about ultimate size but most P. incisa clones are quite small so
I'd guess around 3 metres max height and about 2 - 2.5 spread. You could experiment with training the leader vertical if
you needed more height but the main thing is it's unlikely to outgrow its welcome even in the smallest garden and is the
daintiest small weeping tree I know. Not easy to find I think I got the last one from Bridgmere last week. We have one
that's been in a couple of years now and it's a real joy atm.

Rod

Prunus incisa is purported to grow to 6m.

I have a P. incisa too and it is, as you say, a delight at this
moment. It isn't a 'Pendula' it's a 'Plena' (and plena it is too -
I've never seen such a mass of flowers).

It's only a couple of feet high yet and seems to have quite an
upright habit. it grows quite slowly I am told and it is already
apparent that the internodal distance is quite short and the growth
hardens rigid quite quickly. Anyway it seems as though it might lend
itself to structural pruning.

I wonder whether your 'Pendula' is created by the grafting I
described in a previous message or is a 'natural'.

I have a newly acquired P. spinosa too. Wow that is taking off
strangely. Thorns out of all proportion to the plant - some pointing
straight downward from near horizontal branches - are producing tiny
green leaf axils all down their length.

Huss

Grow a little garden